Wednesday, September 2, 2009

larry's ideas I posted b/c I can not be in class

I thought the A Brief History of an Idea was very easy to read. It was also very informative. I think it is valuable to learn where technology has come from to have a better idea where it is going and how to use what technology is presently available. I don’t really have much that is profound to say about the article.

The reading from Personal Geography was interesting. I understood what he was saying. A map is not just a two dimensional piece of paper that shows the lay of the land. It can be an organic three or four dimensional thing. A scan of something like a cell, the universe or DNA is 3D but I guess it grows or something maybe during the scan. A person doing the scan also learns more and gets new memories or knowledge. (which I guess would be the 4 dimensionality) So anyway this was a fun read. I got something out of it. That something is just hard to nail down.

My idea for the map project is to make a giant chainsaw in the forest. I am going to use one of those GPS things to “draw” a giant chainsaw in the woods. I will somehow walk out the shape of the chainsaw and record my course with the GPS. I will take a picture at every dot because the chainsaw will be kind of like a continuous line connect the dot thing. I will somehow have to get some land marks (which may be tough since all the trees look about the same from space).

If this is not a good idea I have always been interested in the art collective Object Orange. http://www.woostercollective.com/2006/12/detroits_object_orange.html
I might map out their projects or something.

I have also always been interested in the Pruit Igoe Projects http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pruitt-Igoe
I would like to do something with them. I cant physically go to where the used to be but ???

No comments:

Post a Comment